Ernst & Young LLP and the Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT) are pleased to present an affordable webcast on August 20, 2014 that explains the payroll tax considerations when hiring a new employee.
Participants are eligible for 1.0 RCH or CPE credits
Registration is available with IPT at:
IPT registration fee:
$50 for IPT members
$65 for individuals who personally do not hold IPT membership
Details concerning the program is included below.
So you hired an employee? Let’s talk employment tax
August 20, 2014: 1:00 –2:00 p.m. E.S.T.
Once a worker is hired a number of essential employment tax decisions and processes are triggered. Gaps in this critical component of the employment life cycle can present a personal risk to owners and officers and to the business as a whole. In this session we will provide participants with information about the critical tax steps in the employee onboarding process and shine an important light on where oversights and errors frequently occur.
- Recognize the key differences between employees and independent contractors and how their onboarding requirements differ
- Know the differences in the onboarding requirements for US and nonresident alien employees
- Identify the federal and state tax forms employees must submit and how to implement them
- Know what steps to take to head off notices about invalid Social Security Numbers
- Reduce employment tax risk through proactive identification of state and local taxing jurisdictions and compliance with their registration and tax filing requirements
- Avoid common employment tax pitfalls in employee hiring agreements that provide for fringe benefits such as cars, cell phones, sign on bonuses, relocation reimbursement, loans, etc.
- Consider some leading practices in managing employment tax